Government Programs

Some articles are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing.

Click here to download the reader.

CSREES – Small

Farm Program

U.S. Department of Agriculture

The CSREES Small Farm Program is committed to meeting the needs of the small farm community. The goal of this program is to improve the income level and the economic viability of small farm enterprises through partnerships with the Land Grant System and public and private sectors by encouraging research, extension, and education programs to meet the specific needs of small farmers. The program publishes a newsletter, Small Farm Digest.

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Cooperative State, Research, Education, and Extension Service

Stop 2215

Washington, D.C. 20250-2215

Phone: 1-800-583-3071

Natural Resources Conservation Service

U.S. Department of Agriculture

NRCS puts nearly 70 years of experience to work in assisting owners of America’s private land with conserving their soil, water, and other natural resources. Local, state and federal agencies and policymakers also rely on our expertise. They deliver technical assistance based on sound science and suited to a customer’s specific needs. Cost shares and financial incentives are available in some cases. Most work is done with local partners. Their partnership with local conservation districts serves almost every county in the nation, and the Caribbean and Pacific
Basin. Participation in their programs is voluntary.

Natural Resources Conservation Service

Attn: Conservation Communications Staff

P.O. Box 2890

Washington, DC 20013

Small Farms@USDA

U.S. Department of Agriculture

The USDA’s small farm web site features a wealth of information about small farms, including reports/policies/regs, a small farms database, hotlinks/resources, key terms/definitions, and upcoming events.



Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program NESARE is a competitive grants program administered by the USDA. They provide grants to farmers, researchers, and educators whose proposed work will support production, processing, and marketing systems that sustain rural communities and support agricultural activities in the region’s rural, urban, and suburban areas.

Fred Magdoff
Regional Coordinator
Hills Bldg.
105 Carrigan Dr.
University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405-0082
Phone: (802) 656-0472
Fax: (802) 656-4656

Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas

ATTRA (Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas), funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is a national sustainable agriculture information service managed by the National Center for Appropriate Technology. It provides information and other technical assistance to farmers, ranchers, extension agents, educators, and others involved in sustainable agriculture in the United States.

Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas
P.O. Box 3657
Fayetteville, AR 72702
Phone: 1-800-346-9140

The National Association of Resource Conservation and Development Councils

Resource Conservation and Development (RC&D) Councils play an important role in the conservation, development, and utilization of natural resources. RC&D Councils work to improve the general level of economic activity and to enhance the environment and standard of living in all communities. Councils provide a system of rural development to encourage the wise use of natural resources, and improve the quality of life in America. The RC&D Councils in New York State offer many valuable programs for small farms.

Black River-St. Lawrence RC&D — (315) 782-7553

Greater Adirondack RC&D — (518) 623-3090

Hudson-Mohawk RC&D Council — (518) 828-4385

Ontario Lake Plains — (716) 589-6504 ext. 112

S. Central New York RC&D — (607) 334-4715

Seneca Trail RC&D Council — (716) 676-8923

Sullivan Trail RC&D Council — (607) 776-7398 ext. 5

Leave a Reply



You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>