Other Departments to Consider

State Jurisdiction

NYS Department of Weights and Measures will need to certify the scales used in the business. Scales are sealed and a sticker is adhered showing their expiration date. A small fee is charged for the inspection.

NYS Department of Taxation and Finance. Farms and/or businesses will need to file an Income Tax Return with the NYS Department of Tax and Finance. Farmers may opt to report their income as a self-employed business owner-operator on Form 1040 Schedule C or 1040 Schedule F if the operation is conducted as part of the farm operations itself. Farmers may wish to file for a Federal Identification number separate from your social security number when filing these forms under a business name. If a business name is used, and a separate legal entity such as a partnership or corporation is not created, then it is important to file a DBA (doing business as) with the county.

NYS Department of Labor will need to know if any employees are involved. There are forms that will need to be filed, in addition to quarterly reports, if employees are part of the operation.

County Jurisdiction

The County Health Department will want to know if a farm is selling meat and meat products in any form. Each county has different regulations so a farmer must be very specific about his or her intentions when they contact the Health Department to make sure they are in compliance.

The County Planning and Zoning Office may or may not allow the retail establishment under consideration. Before beginning any retail outlet, farmers should contact this office to learn what is permissible and what is not.

Leave a Reply



You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>