Skip to main content


Where can I get help preparing my farm’s tax return?

If you’re looking for a CPA to prepare your tax return for you, try asking farmers in your area for recommendations, as well as contacting your local Cooperative Extension office. Someone in your network should be able to point you to a reputable and knowledgeable tax accountant. If you’d like to do your own taxes … Read More

What do I need to do to become a real farm?

In most instances, getting “official” recognition for your farm is as easy as filing a DBA (“Doing Business As”) form with your County Clerk’s office. The transaction usually costs around $25, and it serves to protect your farm name within your county. Then you can take this DBA to your bank and use it to … Read More

What recordkeeping options do I have?

Paper Records Small farms and many businesses just starting out find that paper notebooks and folders meet their needs. Keep all sales receipts in one folder, expense receipts in another, maintain a capital asset depreciation log, and keep notebooks for farm yield or other data important to the year. The advantage of this system is … Read More

How do I track all this information and still have time to farm?

The key is to set up systems that work for you. Some of the best record-keepers we know set up their systems–whether paper notebooks, excel spreadsheets, or fancy software–in the winter months and spend just 10 minutes a day during the insanity of the growing season to stay on top of recordkeeping. One thing is … Read More

What records should I be keeping?

There are many different types of records farmers keep. Records are critical for steering your business to success; otherwise you’re driving blindly and could be heading for a cliff. But you don’t need to go overboard with tracking. Here’s a sampling of items successful farmers record: Daily or Weekly: Weather (precipitation, max and min temps, … Read More

What types of insurance should I have?

Please read the Farm Risk Management and Farm Insurance fact sheets in the Guide to Farming in NY.

What laws will affect me if I have an intern or hired help?

Hiring farm help is fairly straightforward, though it involves a lot of paperwork. Learn about the regulations in the Business Considerations section of the Guide to Farming in NY. Be very careful about how you set up internships. Internships can be a win-win situation, providing a high-quality hands-on learning experience for an aspiring farmer and … Read More

What are the requirements for a Commercial Kitchen?

See the “Becoming a Small-Scale Food Processor” fact sheet from the Guide to Farming in NY.

What marketing regulations do I need to comply with?

Most products have some kind of regulation attached to their sale, whether it’s wine or firewood or eggs, and it often varies depending on the market channel you choose. If you live in NY, the Guide to Farming in NY provides a summary of regulations that apply when marketing various products. Your county Cooperative Extension … Read More

What are the tax benefits to farming?

Farmers are exempt from paying sales tax on purchases of supplies used in farming. Some farm buildings are wholly or partially exempt from property taxes and once a farm generates over $10,000 in sales, the land can also receive a property tax exemption. Income tax exemptions kick in once farm income becomes 2/3 of total … Read More

More »