Back to the Guide to Farming Table of Contents>>

Farm Vehicle Registration

Go to the DMV and complete MV-82 Motor Vehicle Registration form and check the Farm Vehicle box – and complete form MV 260-F, part 1 – Certification of Farm Vehicle Use

Moving Farm Equipment on Public Roads

The “slow moving vehicle” emblem, a fluorescent or reflective orange triangle, must be displayed on the rear of vehicles drawn by animals, and most farm vehicles and construction equipment. It must be displayed on all equipment designed to operate at 25 mph or less, whether self-propelled or used in combination. These signs fade with time, so it is recommended to replace them every 2-3 years. The emblem must displayed separately on each piece equipment, whether self propelled or used in combination as per VTL 375-36(b).

It is unlawful to operate agricultural equipment on any public highway between 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise or at any time when visibility ahead or behind is less than 1000 feet, unless the equipment is equipped with approved, working lamps.  If on a public highway after dark, requirements include:

-       2 white headlights on front of tractor at the same height and as far apart as practicable

-       one red tail lamp at the farthest end (tractor or implement) and as far apart as practical

-       2 amber combined hazard warning and turn signal lamps at least 42 inches high at the same level, visible from front and rear. If just a tractor, these lights can be on the cab. If traveling with an implement, these lights need to be mounted at rear of implement.

-       2 red reflectors at the rear of the implement, at the same level and as far apart as practicable

Important Exception:

If the width of tractor/implement combination is between 12 and 17 feet, you cannot travel on public roads after dark. When traveling during daylight, red or orange fluorescent flags not smaller than 18 square inches and reflectors need to be placed at extreme corners of the load. In addition, 2 amber lights or hazard lights visible from the rear of the load must be flashing. If the vehicle or implement extends beyond the center line or is traveling during inclement weather, the implement should be preceded by an escort vehicle with a warning sign and flashing lights.

Transportation of Hazardous Materials on Public Roads

A farmer who is operating as a private business (not for hire) is exempt from vehicle placarding and marking regulations when transporting an agricultural product (hazardous material including fertilizers, pesticides, fuel, etc.) over local roads between fields utilized by the farm.

For additional information on SMV emblems, please refer to the State Vehicle and Traffic Regulations Title 15 Part 68 Slow-Moving Vehicle Emblem (15 NYCRR 68). For additional information on required lighting equipment, refer to the State Vehicle and Traffic Regulations Title 15 Part 43 Motor Vehicle Lighting (15 NYCRR 43.9) Section 43.9 Lighting Requirements on agricultural equipment. These regulations can be found at and selecting the Department of Motor Vehicles.

This fact sheet is part of the Guide to Farming in NY by Monika Roth et al, published by the Cornell Small Farms Program and Cornell Cooperative Extension. Fact sheets are updated once annually, so information may have changed since last revision. If you are reading a printed version of a fact sheet, compare revision date with online fact sheet publish dates to make sure you have the latest version.

Leave a Reply



You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>