Urban Farming Training Programs
- Just Food Farm School NYC in New York City (http://www.justfood.org/farmschoolnyc)
Two-year certificate program and individual advanced courses on a variety of subjects.
- The Radix Ecological Sustainability Center Regenerative Urban Sustainability Training (RUST) in Albany (http://radixcenter.org/) Weekend-long intensive workshop comprised of lectures and hands-on demonstrations on various urban farming subjects.
Beginning Farmer Training Programs
A wealth of workshops and new farmer training programs exist throughout the State. Though most of these programs are not urban farming specific, many components are quite applicable to an urban farm.
- CRAFT: The Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training program is prevalent throughout NYS.
- Hudson, Pioneer and Berkshire region: http://www.craftfarmapprentice.com/
- Catskills: http://www.catskillscraft.org/
- Finger Lakes: groundswellcenter.org
- Eastern NYS: https://www.glynwood.org/mid-hudson-craft/
- NOFA- NY hosts workshops and farm field days across NYS for new-experienced farmers, nofany.org
- Cornell Small Farms offers an array of online courses for new and beginning farmers, smallfarms.cornell.edu/
- Groundswell Center for Local Food & Farming offers a 10-week in-person farm businesses course and opportunities at an incubator farm outside Ithaca, NY. http://www.groundswellcenter.org/
- New York Botanical Gardens offers workshops and certificate programs in landscape design, botany, horticulture and gardening; http://www.nybg.org/adulted/
- Stone Barns Center for Food & Agriculture offers both unpaid farm internships and longer-term apprenticeships for aspiring farmers as well as hosts the annual Young Farmers Conference in November, http://www.stonebarnscenter.org/index.html
- Hawthorne Valley Beginning Farmers Program offers field days and mentoring programs, http://hawthornevalleyfarm.org/hudson-valley-farm-beginnings
Urban Farm Apprenticeships and Internships
- Bk Farmyards (http://bkfarmyards.com/) Adult Urban Farmer Training, Backyard Farms Training, and Chicken Apprenticeship
- EcoStation: NY (http://ecostationny.org/) Adult Apprenticeship Program at Bushwick Campus Farm
- Eagle Street Rooftop Farm (http://rooftopfarms.org/) On-site apprenticeships and internships
Organizational Workshops, Classes, and Events
Several urban farming or related organizations offer workshops, classes, and events to help educate and support urban farmers. See the Appendix for more information and for organization contact information, or check individual organization websites and event calendars.
For a listing of Cornell Cooperative Extension offices across New York State, visit http://www.cce.cornell.edu/learnAbout/Pages/Local_Offices.aspx.