Urban Farming Books
- The Essential Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter and Willow Rosenthal, Penguin Books, 2011
- Breaking through Concrete: Building an Urban Farm Revival by David Hanson and Edwin Marty, University of California Press, 2012
- Urban Farming: Sustainable City Living in Your Backyard, in Your Community, and in the World by Thomas J. Fox, BowTie Press, 2011
- How to Grow More Vegetables than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land than You Can Imagine by John Jeavons, Ten Speed Press, 2002
- Toolbox for Sustainable Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide by Scott Kellogg and Stacy Pettigrew, South End Press, 2008
- MetroFarm: The Guide to Growing for Big Profit on a Small Parcel of Land by Michael Olson, TS Books, 1994
- Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat by Annette Cottrell and Joshua McNichols, Mountaineer Books, 2011
- Your Farm in the City: An Urban Dweller’s Guide to Growing Food and Raising Animals by Lisa Taylor and the Gardeners of Seattle Tilth, Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers, 2011
- Sustainable Market Farming: Intensive Vegetable Production on a Few Acres by Pam Dawling, New Society Publishers, 2013
- “Start a Farm in the City” by Rex Dufour, ATTRA: The National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service, 2009, available at https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/summaries/summary.php?pub=21
- Just Food’s City Farms Toolkit available for purchase at http://justfood.org/marketplace/tools
- Just Food’s Online Resource Center, with English and Spanish-language resources, at http://justfood.org/farmer-outreach/online-resource-center and http://justfood.org/farmer-outreach/spanish-language-resources
- GreenThumb Gardener’s Handbook, available for download at http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/pdf/gardeners_handbook.pdf
- Syracuse Grows online urban farming resource directory at http://syracusegrows.org/
- GrowNYC gardening tipsheets at http://www.grownyc.org/openspace/publications
- The Urban Agricultural Legal Resource Library (http://www.urbanaglaw.org/), a project of the Sustainable Economies Law Center in Oakland, California
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden Handbook Series, available for purchase at http://www.bbg.org/gardening/handbooks
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) “Urban Agriculture & Improving Local, Sustainable Food Systems” website at http://epa.gov/brownfields/urbanag/
- ATTRA: The National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service’s urban agriculture website at https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/local_food/urban_ag.html
- USDA Urban Agriculture: An Abbreviated List of References and Resource Guide (2000) at http://pubs.nal.usda.gov/sites/pubs.nal.usda.gov/files/urban_0.htm
- City Farmer (http://www.cityfarmer.org/) and City Farmer News (http://www.cityfarmer.info/)
A website and news stream about various urban agriculture topics worldwide.
- Urban Farm Online: Sustainable City Living (http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/)
- Resource Centers on Urban Agriculture and Food Security (http://ruaf.org/)
Urban Farming Meet-Up Groups
All meet-up groups can be found by searching http://www.meetup.com/.
- City Farming NYC
- Brooklyn Farmers/Gardeners
- Genessee Valley/Rochester Permaculture
- Brooklyn Permaculture
- Rondout Valley Permaculture
Meetup is a network of local groups, organized by individuals at no cost via the Meetup website above.
Urban Farming Training Programs
- Just Food Farm School NYC in New York City (http://www.justfood.org/farmschoolnyc)
Two-year certificate program and individual advanced courses on a variety of subjects.
- The Radix Ecological Sustainability Center Regenerative Urban Sustainability Training (RUST) in Albany (http://radixcenter.org/)
Weekend-long intensive workshop comprised of lectures and hands-on demonstrations on various urban farming subjects.
Urban Farm Apprenticeships and Internships
- Bk Farmyards (http://bkfarmyards.com/)
Adult Urban Farmer Training, Backyard Farms Training, and Chicken Apprenticeship
- EcoStation: NY (http://ecostationny.org/)
Adult Apprenticeship Program at Bushwick Campus Farm
- Eagle Street Rooftop Farm (http://rooftopfarms.org/)
On-site apprenticeships and internships
Organizational Workshops, Classes, and Events
Several urban farming or related organizations offer workshops, classes, and events to help educate and support urban farmers. See the Appendix for more information and for organization contact information, or check individual organization websites and event calendars.
For a listing of Cornell Cooperative Extension offices across New York State, visit http://www.cce.cornell.edu/learnAbout/Pages/Local_Offices.aspx.