The Cornell Organic Production and Marketing Work Team Meeting (Fruit and Vegetables) will take December 12, 2012 from 9:00 am to 12 pm (or longer depending on location).
Please Click Here to register by December 10, 2012. Please forward to others who may be interested.
The Cornell Organic Program Work Team has met regularly since 1997, to strengthen research and extension programs and collaborations supporting organic farming in NYS. For more information on the Organic Work Team, please visit www.organic.cornell.edu. This year, we will host two separate meetings:
· December 12, 2012: Fruit and vegetables
· January 8, 2013: Dairy, Livestock and Field Crops, 10:30 AM till 2 PM, Jordon Hall, NYSAES, Geneva NY. Contact Fay Benson for more details (email@example.com)
· Hear about research is being conducted by organic farmers and Cornell faculty, staff and educators.
· Share your own organic research and education needs.
· Discuss important issues facing organic agriculture in the Northeast.
· Help set priorities for future Cornell research and education organic efforts.
· Network with other farmers, educators and researchers people interested and committed to organic agriculture and sustainability.
The Fruit and Vegetable Group of the CU Organic PWT will meet by Web Conference. You can participate by attending the session at one of our host locations (below) or by logging on from your home computer. From 9am -12pm, we will broadcast presentations and host discussions from Cornell Ithaca. During and after lunch, those attending at one of our regional sites will be invited to help prioritize organic research and extension needs.
You may attend at one of the regional PWT meeting sites:
· Central NY/ Ithaca: Cornell University Campus, Mann Library Meeting Room 102
· Capital District/Eastern NY: Rensselaer County Cornell Cooperative Extension Office
· Long Island: Long Island Horticulture Research and Extension Center
· Western NY: Ontario County Cornell Cooperative Extension Office
· Hudson Valley: Hudson Valley Lab
· Northern New York- Clinton County Cornell Cooperative Extension Office
Click Here to register by December 5, 2012. You may sign up to participate from one of the regional sites OR to sign in from your home. We will email you directions / local host contact info for the regional locations or instructions on signing up from home on December 6.
Draft Agenda (final with details to be sent on December 6 to registrants)
9:00 am Welcome
9:15 am Cornell Organic Research updates
Meg McGrath: Research on Managing Vegetable Diseases Organically
Justine Vanden Heuvel: Developing an organic grape growing and winemaking course at Cornell
Michael Mazorek: Breeding Vegetables for Organic Systems
Brian Caldwell: Economic Performance of Four Organic Vegetable Production Systems
Brian Henehan: Opportunities for and Barriers to the Growth of Organic Food and Agricultural Production in New York State
10:30 am Organic Grower Research updates
Lou Lego: Spore Exclusion High Tunnel
Carol Glenister: Taking Guardian Plants to Field Vegetables: Two Year’s Data
11:00 am Continued Updates
Abby Seaman: Organic Pesticide Efficacy Trials and the New Resource Guide
Emily Cook: Spotted-wing Drosophila in Organic berries and vegetables
11:30 am Future Needs
12:00 pm Adjourn, lunch/local discussion at regional sites
Thanks and hope to you can join us on December 12, 2012. Please do forward this to others who may be interested.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *