Skip to main content

menu

Production Plan

Production Plan

As you consider all the various enterprises you will have on your farm, it's essential to understand how they all fit together, what the annual rhythm of tasks will be, and what your labor needs will be over the course of the year. Depending on how advanced you are in your planning, you can fill out this worksheet with ballpark estimations or get very specific with crop varieties and labor demands.

Add a time frame to indicate if this is your plan for next year, 3 years from now, 5 years from now, or beyond. Add quantities you plan to produce of each (if known). Example: 5 years from now we'll be producing and marketing 30 Icelandic lambs/year, 500 Cornish Rock X chickens, and a diverse mix of heirloom vegetables sufficient to supply 80 CSA shares.
Use this space to note questions and unresolved issues, like "how much acreage will be needed for the asparagus?" or "still need to find feed source for chickens"
The labor estimate can be very approximate. For example: the tasks above can be completed by one person working part-time, <20 hrs/week.
Example: In March, we'll begin seeding hundreds of flats of tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers. In April, we'll move the pregnant ewes to a separate paddock in preparation for lambing. One person working less than 3 hrs/day can accomplish all of these tasks.
Sending

Comments

6 thoughts on “Production Plan

1. Amber Dawn says:

Thank you for this thoughtful practice.

2. tamara ackerson says:

nice seeing a plan in writing to see if there is more i need to do.and where my weakness are.

3. John says:

A fantastic yet simple resource that made me put into writing many of the tasks I was already doing but hadn’t really hardwired. These exercises are forcing me to make better decisions about how I use my resources and will hopefully lead to less wasteful practices or poorly thought through decisions. Thanks!

4. Anya says:

Simply put, brilliant. I am about as new to farming as it gets, I bought the land, and have been at “now what?” for longer than I can appreciate. This is the only new farmer resource I’ve found that doesn’t seem to assume new farmers already know what they are doing. I was terribly disheartened before, but I’ve got a lot more hope this is actually going to work out now, because I can see how the vision I have in my head will eventually translate into a properly structured business plan. Thank you!

5. Jeremiah says:

A great tool for setting the plan in motion and helping to make sure my bases are covered. It’s still a work in progress but a solid start!
    Thanks!

6. Matthew Groff says:

I think this is a great Idea even for people who are thinking about getting into farming and/or ranching. Why? I makes you think about things you have not even begun to think about! For an example: What work are you going to be doing in March/April? Who is going to be doing the work? How much Time is going to be involved to do the work? etc..